PZ and I went to an “Under the Sea” themed pool party birthday today for two of her little friends, A and D. It was so much fun! And now, finally, I can tell you about the latest projects in this Handmade Experiment. Yay! Inspired by Little Miss A’s love of all things girlie, but wanting to mix it up a bit (I know her mom gets tired of her wearing pink and sparkley everyday), I used curtains I’d made for my old bedroom and transformed them into a twinkling starry night tutu.
I found Miss Kiki’s tutu tutorial (I love saying tutu tutorial) on youtube and, once again, adapted it to suit my needs. The first tutu I made I used four strips of crinolin and a 1inch strip of elastic, but it was WAY to big. So I made another one using a 1/2inch strip of elastic and only two pieces of fabric. It came out much better. Sewing onto the elastic had me swearing, and I was never able to make it come out pretty. I used a zig zag stitch the second time which seemed to help some, but still…if anyone knows a good way to get a clean stitch onto elastic, please enlighten me.
For Mr. D, I knew I wanted to do a superhero cape. I found a great tutorial over at Puking Pastilles and pretty much followed it, only substituting the appliqués (my hubby made mine) and using cotton and some sort of cotton blend with a sheen instead of just using felt. I got the cape fabric for like a buck a yard at Knittin’ Kitten, a fabric thrift store here in town, and all the appliquéd fabrics were scraps I had lying around. The big challenge of this project was the appliqué. I’d never done it before and the Pellon WonderUnder that I bought only had half of the instructions with it! I ended up sewing the felt lightening bolt on without fusing it to the fabric first. Not a bad job if I do say so myself.
Then, once I looked up the rest of the instructions on Pellon‘s website, I accidentally ironed the fabric with the webbing side up and fused it onto my iron! Luckily, I found a online thread that advised using dryer sheets to clean my iron off. It worked! I just put the sheets (it took 3) onto the ironing board and ironed away.
Side note: I’m glad to find a use for those dryer sheets since we’ve geen using the laundry balls for over a year now. Those balls totally work!
Anyway, because three times’ a charm, I fused the webbing onto the right side of my polka dot pattern, thus leaving the wrong side up on the finished piece. Oh well! It was a learning process. My hubby keeps reminding my that I am my worst critique. I hope he’s right!
While neither of these projects came out perfect, I think they both look good and hope they will be well loved. PZ has already put in an order for one of each. I’m working on doing some superhero masks as well, but that’ll be a later post. All together these projects cost me less then five dollars and I spent probably seven hours total. I think now that I know what I’m doing though, I could feasibly cut that down to five. Pretty cool. I’m liking this handmade thing and have totally been bitten by the sewing bug. Now, if I could just find someone to clean my house…