While my computer’s hard drive is on vacation, I’m letting Rae Grant, crafty Mama and author of Cooking Fun: 121 Simple Recipes to Make with Kids and Crafting Fun: 101 Things to Make and Do with Kids share a couple of her favorite summertime recipes with you guys. Enjoy!
Lemonade by the Glass
Everybody loves lemonade. It’s a great drink on a hot summer day. Here’s
a basic recipe you can use to make a glass of homemade lemonade.
3 tablespoons Sugar Syrup (recipe below)
1 to 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 cup cold water
In a tall glass mix together the Sugar Syrup, lemon juice, and water.
Add ice cubes and enjoy.
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1. In a medium saucepan combine the sugar and water. Turn heat on
over medium-low and cook, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
2. Using a pot holder, remove pan from the heat. Cool the syrup to
room temperature, then pour in a jar and refrigerate, covered, until
ready to use. (The syrup will keep for weeks in the refrigerator.)
Makes 6 to 8 servings
This is a brownie lover’s brownie. It is crusty on the top, soft in the middle, and rich throughout. Make an extra batch to share with friends.
5 tablespoons butter
2 squares (1 ounce each) unsweetened chocolate
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¾ cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1. Set the rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan. Set aside.
2. In a small saucepan, combine the butter and chocolate. Melt over low heat, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, until the butter and chocolate are completely smooth.
3. Using a pot holder, remove the pan from the heat. With a rubber spatula, scrape the chocolate mixture into a large bowl. Stir in the sugar, eggs, and vanilla and mix until smooth. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt and combine well. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
4. Bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Using oven mitts, remove the pan from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes. Cut into squares.
Makes 16 brownies