Velveteen Ribbon and Gingham Fabric Headband Tutorial

I bought some velveteen ribbon  precut at Mills End before Easter with the thought of making some Easter headbands. Better late than never, right? While Q naps this stomach bug away, and PZ works in her art studio, I decided to make something pretty while I do ANOTHER load of laundry. I also figured easy project means easy tutorial – more or less. So here’s how I did it.

I dug around in my HUGE scrap stash and found a piece of vintage gingham already in the exact size I needed. I also used some leftover elastic from a previous pants project, so all in all this project was super simple for me. I hope the same goes for you if you decide to try it. So, let’s go!

What you’ll need

a ribbon (mine was precut at 18 1/3 inches long and is 2/3 inch wide)

fabric rectangle (I cut mine 8 x 2 and 2/3 inch)

elastic ( I used 5/8)

head measurement (PZ’s head was approximately 23 inches)

 

Step 1. Cut the elastic – Take your head measurement (23) and subtract your ribbon length (18), then subtract 2 1/2 and that’s how long your elastic should be.  I cut mine 2 1/2 inches long.

Step 2. Iron fabric.  Fold the long edges 1/4 inch and iron each side down. Fold the rectangle in half lengthwise and iron it.

Step 3. Reopen your fabric tube and iron the short ends down 1/4 inch.

Step 4. Topstitch the rectangle into a tube.

Step 5. Sew one end of the elastic to one end of the ribbon.

you're not seeing things. the ribbon color HAS changed

Step 6. Attach a safety pin to the other end of the elastic. Push the elastic through the fabric tube. (tutorial)

Step 7. Topstitch the fabric tube around the ribbon, just past the attaching elastic.

Step 8. Sew the other end of the ribbon to the elastic and push the tube down to cover it. Topstitch this side, pull taut to create a good ruffle, and you’re done!

On the second one I made a little embellishment. I had some cucumber fabric which is one of PZ’s favorite foods. I ironed on some interfacing and then cut out one crisp looking cucumber. I hand sewed it on, trying to emulate the look of cucumber seeds with my stitches. PZ was so pleased she pretended to eat the cucumber right off! If you make one, I’d love to see it!

I also wanted to mention that I worked with local band Sallie Ford and The Sound Outside as my background music. Thanks Jenn for the CD!

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s