I used Lotta Jansdotter’s Simple Sewing for Baby dress pattern for this present for our friend Mabel’s first birthday party last weekend. (The real color is closer to the first one. The felt is like a lime green) Instead of using Lotta’s pocket pal pattern I cut out this fun nesting doll from my yard of Kokka created Trefle fabric. I used some scrap sage green crushed velvet for the back and stuffed it with some bamboo filling. Ally, if you are reading, you should be able to wash the whole thing in cold and air dry. The gingham was some I’m gotten from Knittn Kitten over the summer.
A couple of new things for me with this one. My first time making my own bias tape and adding it to sleeves and neck. Actually I think this was my first “over the head” dress, all my other ones being pinafores, so that’s fun! It was pretty easy although I will say that I really DISLIKE bias tape!! I even made my own packaging with some vintage wool felt I got at Knittn Kitten last time I was in.
Shannon if you’re reading this STOP NOW!! Continue reading
I finally got a chance to sit down and do a couple of projects from Lotta Jansdotter’s book, Simple Sewing. The book design is very much like her fabrics – minimalist design, organic prints, and funky colors. There are 24 sewing projects separated by the headings COOK, GO, NEST, and ORGANIZE. It probably says something about my life, and definitely my body rhythms that the two projects I chose were both from ORGANIZE. It is autumn after all. I chose the bed pocket (an anniversary gift for Hubs) and the magazine holder.
Anne, one of my bestest of buddies, just had her second daughter and since we were out of town for the big event I decided to try and make up for it with a quilt. Nothing says “I love you” like cotton. 🙂 Anyway this is the second quilt I’ve made. I used Lotta Jansdotter’s book Simple Sewing for Baby as my guide and although I like this book very much I think one of us had her math off. I could easily be wrong, but I suspect that neither of us accounted for seam allowances, so the back of my quilt was bigger than the front and I had to cut to compensate.
I still had a pretty big wrinkle in the back after I started the actual quilting, so I ended up pushing the wrinkle all to one edge and sewing it down. This solution worked pretty well. The only other issue with the blanket was my own doing. I didn’t have the patience to wait until Cool Cottons was open and so instead of using one whole piece of batting I used two rectangles one way and then overlapped it with two more rectangles going the other direction. This made for a kind of bumpy ride which I’m hoping will smooth out over time. There is also a small triangle of quilt that seems to not have ANY batting and this is, of course, beneath the lightest fabric square. Lovely.
One of the reasons I chose to use Lotta’s pattern was the pocket. I added the O(for Opal) applique by using Pellon’s Wonder Under which is super easy to use and has become practically second nature to me after doing so many capes! All and all this was a labor of love for I have definitely caught the quilting bug. PZ really wants me to make her one next. I’m thinking I’ll make her one for Winter Solstice. Something to keep her nice and cozy.